Tea is well-known for its health benefits and wide assortment of different blends and flavours. Amongst the varieties, Cardamom Tea is one of the most aromatic and distinctive to the tastebuds.
Cardamom PodsAlso known as Elaichi Chai, tea flavoured with cardamom originated from India. Known to many Indians as ‘the Queen of Spice’, Cardamom Tea has become part and parcel of daily life on the Indian subcontinent and not just because of its fragrant taste, but also for its numerous healthy qualities.
The seeds are crushed and combined with hot or boiling water which releases essential oils that give it that unmistakeable aromatic flavour.
The incredible health benefits of cardamom come from these oils which include terpinine, borneol, eucalyptol, camphor and limonene. These compounds are known to produce positive effects for people suffering from high blood pressure, a weak immune system, respiratory infections, iron deficiency, obesity, indigestion and other conditions.
There are plenty of reasons why we should be drinking Cardamom Tea more often and here are some of the main ones:
1. Good for Digestion – Cardamom is good for curing stomach problems like indigestion, gas and constipation. It contains elements that are known to increase the movement of food through the intestine especially if consumed after heavy meals.
2. Relieves headache – Cardamom Tea works well for muscle relaxation as well as to de-stress the body. It therefore can help sooth headaches.
3. Prevents bad breath – The floral and sweet aroma Cardamom Teaof cardamoms makes it a natural breath freshener. A major component of cardamom is an oil called cineole which is known for its antimicrobial properties that promote oral hygiene. It can also fight bacteria that cause bad breath and the powerful fragrance lingers in your mouth for many hours.
4. Clears congestion – If you are suffering with cold or flu, drink a cup of Cardamom Tea to ease your sore throat, coughing and congestion. It will help clear congestion within the throat and respiratory system. This may also prove as a good treatment should you suffer excessive phlegm since it has the properties of an expectorant.
5. Aids weight loss – Cardamom contains numerous vitamins, which help stimulate the metabolism and allow the body to work more efficiently. This helps burn fat faster and is therefore beneficial for weight loss.
6. Boosts blood circulation – It is known to help increase blood circulation in your body, especially to your lungs. Therefore cardamom is often used as a natural remedy for respiratory disorders. It can maintain vitality and keep your energy levels up. The iron content in cardamom can increase your red blood cell count, thus boosting your overall health.
7. Care for your skin – Cardamom Tea contains a whole range of antioxidants. These assist in combating ‘free radicals’ that can be contributors that lead to the development of cancers. Additionally cardamom is an extremely good anti-aging spice. It can regulate blood circulation in the body and help give your skin a glowing look.
Cardamom Tea is also best served when combined with milk and other spices to bring out different flavours. We suggest trying a cup or two of this aromatic tea to stay healthy and let #the Queen Spice’ do wonders for your body.